"Anya's Ghost" (April 16)

April 16: Anya’s Ghost
For this week’s reading, I read Anya’s Ghost. The main reason why I was intrigued by Vera Brosgol’s story was that it tackles subjects of relationships, combined with them of death. I just feel that it was interesting to have the main character fall into a well, the ghost of  different people, including that of a girl who had trouble in her relationships. I really feel it’s an interesting angle at friendship and relationships. I never really read story where the main character could use the skeletons of the dead and help them out. This story kind of makes Anya feel like she is deliberately making the events troubling , from inadvertently taking Emily’s skeleton, to going over people’s papers in an exam, but I feel that her doing this is her trying however she can to help solve what had happened to Emily. I just think she is persistent. This gives her a bit more dimension to me. What I also like is when we look at what happened to Emily through Anya, Brosgol makes it feel like we are seeing what happened ourselves. It puts us in the point of view of Emily.


Overall, Vera Brosgol does an interesting job of making a story of taking a familiar storyline, which is the story of relationships and coming of age tales, and put it into a sci-fi/ ghost story type. I believe it’s these kinds of stories and creating unexpected methods of storytelling can grab readers and see something different in story that is very familiar to modern readers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assessment (April 23)

"Jimmy Corrigan" (April 9)

In-Class Assignment, Week 11 (April 9)