"Kingdom Come", "Afterlife with Archie" (April 23)

Week 13

“Kingdom Come” by Alex ross and Mark Waid
The week, read Kingdom Come by Alex Ross and Mark Waid. It really puts these classic heroes of DC Comics into a new way that I wouldn't have though of, but seems like the  I really feel that this really subdues superheroes. It makes them real and feel like they could live in the real world we live in. That’s what so incredible about he stunning and realistic artwork of Alex Ross, and the writing of Mark Waid. I also feel that putting the story though the political landscape and having these heroes be put through scrutiny really adds dimensions onto the classic, and godlike heroes we all know. What I really enjoyed while reading were the images of seeing the city being saved by superheroes. I believe that having a perspective, and seeing what its like seeing the heroes doing their job in plain sight in the middle of the day. I believe that adding that gives the scenes realism and believability. Thats one of the beauties of Kingdom Come, the sense of realism and perspective that Ross and Waid gives the story. I also believe that having scenes in a church, thus adding themes of faith and belief is something that I really haven’t seen in a comic. I really never seen comic characters questioning if it’s okay to believe in a superior breed go beings are the way to live. It really questions our love of superheroes and asks why do we look up to them. It’s so interesting to look at a superhero story like that, questioning why we see these heroes in that kind of light.

Afterlife with Archie
This week, I also read Afterlife with Archie by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa. Being recent fan of Archie comics and the show Riverdale, I wanted to read some for he stories of Archie comics, from the 1940s to now. After reading some of Afterlife with Archie, I liked the shift in tone of the story. Here, even though it’s completely horror, It still has that style of humor and writing that you’d find in classic Archie comics. From the Susan conversations and dialogue between characters, tot he Betty/Veronica budding feud for Archie. The comic starts with Jughead’s dog being run over and him running to Sabrina for help to resurrect him. It goes into a zombie horror story, which I found refreshing. It helps Archie comics not become stale and not always have the be the usual Americana stories, while still being true to the classics. I really feel that even though this isn’t so much a superhero tale, it does skew the usual tone shown In previous Archie stories from back in the 1940’s. I feel that stories like this in the Archie world showcases what writers and artist can do with the Archie characters. It really reconsiders what Archie comics can be, instead what it usually is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assessment (April 23)

"Jimmy Corrigan" (April 9)

In-Class Assignment, Week 11 (April 9)